Tuesday, April 10, 2007

With Erasure On The Bus In 1994

almost 4.30pm in the afternoon, it's raining pretty heavily outside. dark, grey, sombre, wet and gloomy - perfect weather while i am on an auto-cruise mode at work sending out e-mails, going down my tasks list for the day and changing the music playing on my laptop.

then i stumbled onto a track which threw me back to the early days of 1994: "Always" by Erasure. i recall plugging in to my headphone and discman, playing the track over and over again when i was on the bus, returning to camp every sunday night before 2230hrs during my national service trainee days at the police academy on thomson road. it was always a journey of misery having to go back to camp every sunday night in your police uniform, polished black boots, a load to carry on your back and a less-than-hirsute round head.

that was almost 14 years ago. time flies. the days of youth behind me. you can try look back for sure, but you won't catch it looking back at you.

No comments: